It pays to be prepared before you go into hospital. Here's a guide of some good questions to ask your specialist.
About your condition and treatment
- Can you explain my condition to me?
- Do you have any information I can take away with me?
- What are my treatment alternatives?
- What could happen if I don't have this treatment?
- Where will I be treated? If it’s not a partner hospital we’ll only pay a Limited Benefit and you’ll be significantly out-of-pocket.
- What do I need to do before admission?
- Do I need to stop or start any medication?
- Do I need to go to a pre-admission clinic or get any tests?
- How long will I be in hospital?
- Who will be doing the surgery/procedure?
- Will I need to have an anaesthetic? If so, what will it involve?
- How quickly will I recover?
About your fees
- What out-of-pocket costs might I have?
- What are the MBS item numbers for my treatment?
- Will you participate in GapCover for each part of my treatment?
- Which hospitals do you practise in?
- Will other specialists bill me for my treatment?
- If so, will they participate in GapCover for each part of my treatment?
- Can you provide me with a written estimate of fees?
- How will I be billed?