Hospital cover will insure you against some of the costs of going to a private hospital, or going to a public hospital as a private patient.
Hospital costs include doctors’ charges, accommodation, operating fees and intensive care. The type of services you can claim on depends on the level of insurance you get. The higher the level of cover, the more services you can claim on.
The top 3 reasons people get hospital cover:
- Choose your own doctor and specialist
- Helps you skip the queue for non-emergency treatments in a hospital
- Get more choice on which hospital you go to
Hospital cover can also help with:
- Avoiding the Medicare Levy Surcharge (MLS) if you're a high income earner.
- Avoiding the Federal Government's Lifetime Health Cover (LHC) loading if you take out hospital cover before you turn 31.