We know a little bit of good can go a long way right now, so we’ve got good news. We’re delivering COVID-19 claims savings back to our members with a giveback. How good’s that?
But wait, does this apply to me?
The giveback applies to ahm members who held an active resident hospital and/or extras policy at any point between 1 July 2020 and 30 June 2021.*
How do I get my giveback?
You don’t need to do a thing. Your reduced premium will be automatically applied based on how often you pay your premium. For most members who pay weekly, fortnightly or monthly – you’ll notice you’ll pay less than usual before the end of October. For members who pay quarterly, half yearly or yearly – you’ll see that only your next premium direct debit will be a little less.
Once your premium adjustment has been processed, you’ll be able to check it out in your payment history. We’ll notify you via SMS once it’s been processed too. Handy huh?
How much can I expect to get back?
As part of the Medibank family, most ahm members are receiving around five days of free cover. The exact amount of your giveback will depend on the type of cover you had and how long you held an active policy between 1 July 2020 and 30 June 2021.
- Got extras only? On average, members can expect $25 with a maximum of $52 back per policy through an adjustment of your premiums.
- Got hospital and extras? On average, members can expect $60 with a maximum of $175 back per policy through an adjustment of your premiums.
- The good news? Regardless of which policy you’re on and how long you were an active member with us last financial year – you’re guaranteed a minimum of $10 back.
How will my free days of cover work? Example scenarios:
- If you’ve been with ahm for a while on combined hospital and extras cover and didn’t suspend or change your cover over the last financial year, you’ll get around five days of free cover from us. You don’t need to do a thing. If you pay your premiums monthly, we’ll take those free days off your premium automatically, before the end of October. So you’ll see you’ve been direct debited less. Sweet!
Joined ahm recently?
- Recently joined us? We’re still keen to give back to the newest members of the ahm family. You’ll get some days of free cover, based on how long you’ve been with us between 1 July 2020 and 30 June 2021. You don’t need to do a thing. If you pay your premiums weekly or fortnightly, your days of free cover will be deducted automatically from your premium before the end of October. How good’s that?
Changed your cover over the past year?
- A lot changed in 2020, so you may have switched up your cover to make sure you were getting exactly what you needed. Even if you changed your cover between 1 July 2020 to 30 June 2021, you’ll also get some days free. The number of free days will also depend on how long you had cover with ahm over this period. You don’t need to do a thing. If you pay your premiums monthly, you’ll pay a little less in premiums before the end of October. Good huh?
Frequently asked questions
Why is ahm giving back?
We know a little bit of good can go a long way – especially right now. We continue to support our members who we know have been doing it tough through the COVID-19 pandemic. The Medibank family’s $300m member support package saw us: postponing premium increases back in April 2020 for six months, offering a support package for hospital members, rolling over unused extras limits for our extras members from FY20 to FY21, growing our telehealth offering and extending Medibank’s 24/7 Nurse and Mental Health lines to our hospital members. This is the next phase in our support package. The Medibank family is returning $105m in COVID-19 savings from the last financial year to ahm and Medibank members.
What are COVID-19 claims savings?
Last financial year, private health insurers were required by the industry regulator to hold funds in order to pay for an anticipated catch up in elective surgeries after COVID-19 restrictions were lifted. COVID-19 claims savings is the excess funding we are returning to members by way of free days of cover.
Who is eligible for the days of free cover?
To be eligible for free days of cover you must have been an ahm member with an active resident hospital and/ or extras policy at any point between 1 July 2020 and 30 June 2021. This excludes members with Ambulance only cover, and Overseas Student Health Cover.
How are the days of free cover calculated and applied to my policy?
This is calculated based on the period of time you were an active member during the last financial year. You don’t need to do a thing. We will be applying days of free cover to your policy by extending the date you are paid to.
When will I receive my days of free cover?
For most members, you’ll notice you’ll pay less than usual before the end of October over one or two bills, it depends on how often you pay your premium. You don’t have to do a thing; your premium will be automatically adjusted. For members who pay quarterly, half yearly or yearly, you’ll see that your next premium will be a little less.
Are the days of free cover per member or per policy?
The days of free cover is per policy.
What if I'm currently in arrears?
If you’re eligible, your arrears amount owing will be reduced after we apply your free days of cover to your policy.
What if my policy is currently suspended?
If your policy was active at any point between 1 July 2020 and 30 June 2021, and you reactivate your policy before 30 June 2022, your first premium payment will be a little less than usual.
What if I closed my policy after 30 June 2021?
If you held an active resident hospital and/ or extras policy at any point between 1 July 2020 and 30 June 2021 but your policy has since been closed, and you’re eligible for days of free cover we’ll send you a cheque or direct credit your saving back to you. And remember – we’d love to have you back as part of ahm again!
My employer pays part of my premium. Do I still get give back days of free cover?
You’ll receive a cheque or direct credit to the value of your free days of cover.
My employer pays my premium. Do I get anything?
As your employer pays for your premium, they will receive the giveback.
What other support is available to me?
- Doing it tough financially?
If you need financial support, check out our suspension options.
- Just doing it tough?
ahm members with hospital cover can continue to access the 24/7 Nurse Line and Mental Health Support line. Speak to a nurse or mental health professional on 1800 532 012.
- What if I’m hospitalised due to COVID-19?
Members are still able to receive a temporary benefit towards heart, kidney, lung and chest hospital admissions, including those related to COVID-19, regardless of their hospital cover.
- I can’t see my provider face to face:
No worries. We’ll pay benefits for some telehealth services included on your extras cover like psychology, physio, chiro and more, subject to your annual limits and waiting periods.
* To be eligible for free days of cover, you must have been an ahm member with an active resident hospital and/or extras policy at any point between 1 July 2020 and 30 June 2021. This excludes members with Ambulance only cover and Overseas Student Health Cover.