Before you claim
For most services, you can claim on-the-spot at your provider with your member card, by logging in to your online account or via the ahm app. You’ll need to have paid for the service before you can claim online or via the ahm app.
The below services are claimable online but not in the ahm app:
- Ambulance claims
- Post-operative and medical aids
- Exercise classes, swimming lessons and weight management services.
For exercise classes, swimming lessons, and weight management services you may need your medical practitioner to complete a Health Improvement Benefit Approval Form to claim for these services.
Claim your way
At your recognised provider
Simply present your ahm member card after your appointment and the claim benefit will be processed electronically on-the-spot if your recognised provider has a HICAPS machine. You’ll only need to pay the difference between the total amount charged by your recognised provider and any benefit we pay.
The amount you'll have to pay will depend on your level of cover, limits and waiting periods. If you’ve reached the limit for that service, you’ll have to pay the full amount.
- Log in to your account and go to ‘Make a claim’. Make sure you have your receipt with you.
- Select the service you want to claim for from the list and select 'Start claim'
- Enter the provider name or number, who went, the date of the service, item number and the amount paid.
For some services you may need to upload a copy of your receipt with your claim.
For a step-by-step guide see How to make an extras claim online
- You need to enter each item separately with the corresponding cost.
- Any benefits will be paid into your nominated bank account in 2 to 5 business days.
- You'll need to keep original receipts for 3 years for audit purposes.
- Log in to the ahm mobile app and go to the ‘Claims’ tab. Make sure you have your receipt with you.
- Select ‘Start claim’. If you haven’t used the ahm mobile app for over 10 minutes, you may need to re-authenticate with either your password or Touch ID/Face ID.
- If there is more than one person on your policy, you’ll need to select who received the service.
- Enter the service, provider name or number and claim details including the date of the service, item number and amount paid.
- Not all extras services are claimable via the ahm mobile app.
- You can only claim for one item at a time. If you want to claim multiple items, we recommend you log in to your account.
- For successful claims, any benefits will be paid into your nominated bank account in 2 to 5 business days.
- You’ll need to keep original receipts for 3 years for audit purposes.
Please note: You can't claim for services that were received more than two years ago.