2020 was a weird one to say the least, and we’re all overdue for a little (or large) break. And with our new COVID-19 travel insurance benefits you can have greater confidence and extra peace of mind to book an Aussie or New Zealand holiday.
Our COVID-19 travel insurance benefits
New domestic and International (New Zealand) policyholders will now receive:
- Cover for COVID-19 Cancellations and amendments*
- Cover for COVID-19 Overseas Medical Costs*
- Cover for Additional COVID-19 Expenses*
Our COVID-19 Amendment or Cancellation Costs cover within Australia and New Zealand
Don’t forget, if you purchase a domestic or international travel insurance policy as soon as you book you’ll immediately have cover for various amendment and cancellation costs, including benefits for COVID-19-related cancellation and amendment costs.
When and how are you covered if you’re impacted by COVID-19?
- If you’re diagnosed with COVID-19 by a qualified medical practitioner and can no longer travel
- If you’re directed by a local public health authority into a period of quarantine because they have classified you as having contact with a person diagnosed with COVID-19 and you can no longer travel
- If you need to amend or cancel your trip because your relative or business partner in Australia or New Zealand is diagnosed with COVID-19 by a qualified medical practitioner and the level of infection is life-threatening
What about your travel buddies?
- If they’re diagnosed with COVID-19 by a qualified medical practitioner and cannot travel and you no longer wish to travel as a result
- Or if they’re directed by a local public health authority into a period of quarantine and cannot travel and you no longer wish to travel as a result
And if your host or accommodation in Australia or New Zealand is impacted by COVID-19?
- If your host is diagnosed with COVID-19 by a qualified medical practitioner and you can no longer stay with them
- Or if they’re directed by a local public health authority into a period of quarantine and you can no longer stay with them
Are any pre-paid costs included?
Cover is provided for you if your prepaid costs are affected, such as:
- the accommodation you planned to stay at in Australia or New Zealand is shut down or closed because of a COVID-19 outbreak on the premises and hygiene measures are required
- the destination activity venue (such as a ski venue, theme park or cooking school) in Australia or New Zealand i is closed because of COVID-19
What if you’re an essential health care worker?
Cover is provided for you if you’re an essential health care worker whose:
- planned leave is revoked by your employer as a result of COVID-19-related reasons
For full details on our travel insurance that covers COVID-19 cancellation and amendment costs, please read the PDS and SPDS document.
How does the COVID-19 Overseas Medical Expenses cover work in New Zealand?
Our COVID-19 travel insurance benefits can provide cover for your overseas medical costs if you’re diagnosed with COVID-19 by a qualified medical practitioner while travelling in New Zealand*. This cover includes costs resulting from overseas medical treatment and ambulance transportation you require when suffering from COVID-19.
Does it cover additional or unexpected expenses?
You can’t predict the unexpected. That’s why our COVID-19 benefits help protect you from a number of scenarios that may result in unexpected costs.
If you’re travelling within Australia on a domestic policy or an international policy to New Zealand, we can provide cover for additional expenses incurred if:
- you are diagnosed with COVID-19 and/or you are directed by a local public health authority into a period of quarantine because they have classified you as having close contact with a person diagnosed with COVID-19
- your non-travelling relative or business partner in Australia or New Zealand is diagnosed with COVID-19 by a qualified medical practitioner and the treating doctor confirms the level of infection is life-threatening and you need to return home
- the person you were due to stay with is diagnosed with COVID-19 and is directed to enter a period of quarantine within their own home
- your pre-paid accommodation is shutdown or closes as a result of a COVID-19 outbreak on its premises and hygiene measures are required
For full details on the additional expenses we cover with our COVID-19 travel insurance benefits, please read the PDS and SPDS document.
What about international travel to destinations other than New Zealand?
We have extended some COVID-19 benefits to international destinations so long as your destination is not subject to “Do not travel” advice on the Smartraveller website at the time you enter the country. Including:
- Overseas medical expenses where you are diagnosed with COVID-19 during your journey
- If you’re diagnosed with COVID-19 and are required to quarantine immediately (in situ) before continuing your trip
- Cancellation or amendment costs if you’re diagnosed with COVID-19 prior to departure or you are required to quarantine due to close contact with a COVID-19 case prior to departure. Also, if you’re an essential health care worker and you’re leave is revoked.
- If your relative or business partner in Australia or New Zealand who isn’t travelling with you is diagnosed with life threatening COVID-19 amendment/cancellation and/or additional expenses benefits may be applicable.
What isn’t included?
Unfortunately, our COVID-19 travel insurance benefits can’t cover absolutely every scenario that may occur as a result of the global pandemic.
We can’t pay for any claims arising caused by COVID-19 if:
- Some benefits are not covered if your trip includes a multi-night cruise
- If you encounter travel or accommodation costs or expenses as a result of a government or public health authority directing you into a period of mandatory quarantine
- If the government bans travel before or during travel such as: “Do Not Travel” travel warnings; government-directed border closures; or mandatory quarantine or self-isolation requirements related to cross area, border, region or territory travel.
- We encourage you to read the Product Disclosure Statement before you consider purchasing our travel insurance to ensure it’s right for you and your trip.
Ready to book that trip?
This is general advice only.
*Limits, sub-limits, exclusions and conditions apply. This is general advice only. This product is distributed by Australian Health Management Group Pty Limited (ABN 96 003 683 298, AR 266711) and administered by Travel Insurance Partners Pty Limited (ABN 73 144 049 230, AFSL 360138). Travel insurance is underwritten by Zurich Australian Insurance Limited (ABN 13 000 296 640, AFSL 232507). Please consider your own needs and the Combined FSG/PDS to decide if this product is right for you. For information on the Target Market and Target Market Determinations, visit ahm.com.au/travel-insurance/forms-and-guides.